'Glee' Preview: 5 Things to Know About 'Dynamic Duets'Glee brings duets back into the spotlight during Thursday's episode, which features New Directions channeling their inner-superheroes during an hour that sees Finn (Cory Monteith) tested as the new head of the musical club.
During Thursday's episode, which features nods to Thanksgiving, the Dalton Academy Warblers return as McKinley's Superhero Club pushes nearly everyone to find and embrace their inner hero.
Here are five teasers from "Dynamic Duets."
1. Blaine's (Darren Criss) mystery guy surfaces (sort of). As evident in the "Grease" auditions and last week's performance, Blaine is still beating himself up over Kurt (Chris Colfer) and the student body president gets some unexpected help from his vice president. Expect a flashback.
2. Brittany's (Heather Morris) nickname for Blaine comes back to threaten his allegiance to New Directions, prompting McKinley's Superhero Club to go into overdrive. Not to be outdone, the hero-themed episode spills into Dalton Academy as one specific member makes a very Dr. Evil-style entrance.
3. For those who have been waiting patiently for the new New Directions to take hold, "Dynamic Duets" does just that as the Finn-led club finally rounds out its ranks to 12 members and takes the stage for one of the strongest group performances in recent memory. The person behind it will make Mr. Schue (Matthew Morrison) proud.
4. As the episode's title implies, expect to see some unexpected pairings that help push two very unlikely alliances forward. One will remind you of Finn and Puck (Mark Salling), the other of Rachel (Lea Michele) and Quinn (Dianna Agron) and both will warm your heart like deep fried turkey on Thanksgiving and bring a smile to your face like pecan pie with vanilla ice cream on top. How they get there, however, won't be pretty.
5. The back story for one of McKinley's best and brightest new faces will be explained -- and it will take a toll on one emerging relationship, sending another into overdrive.
The Hollywood Reporter
Glee Preview: 10 Things You Need to Know About "Dynamic Duets"!Could you pass the Glee, please?
This Thanksgiving, Fox decided to give Gleeks a little something to be thankful for: a brand-new episode of the hit series to enjoy after stuffing your face with turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing! Seriously, who needs pumpkin pie when you can have "Dynamic Duets," a pretty stellar Glee outing featuring new friendships and awesome duets, instead?
We were lucky enough to screen the Nov. 22 outing early, and here are 10 things you can expect, including the return of the Warblers, an evil cat, superheroes and a quickie appearance from a fan favorite!
1. This episode will make you want to join the Secret Society of Superheroes club. It's a super-fun episode that features all of our Gleeks in costume as their superhero alter egos, including Femme Fatale, Asian Persuasion, Dr. Y and Nightbird, to name few. Seriously, it's one of Glee's most fun episodes ever, thanks to the whimsical theme. (It helps that you can tell the actors had a blast filming it.)
2. More than one of Glee's heroes faces a daunting journey in this episode: Blaine (Darren Criss) feels lost at McKinley without Kurt (Chris Colfer), while Finn (Cory Monteith) experiences some trouble with his new gig (in a cheeky nod, he dons a vest à la Will Schuester for his first lesson!) and Marley (Melissa Benoist) continues to struggle with her self-image.
3. Sam Evans (Chord Overstreet), professional fixer. Seriously, if anyone deserves to be the leader of New Directions it's Trouty Mouth, who has become a rock this season for more than a few of his fellow glee club members. This episode, he's there to support Blaine, who is still basically a walking-talking Taylor Swift song over his breakup with Kurt (Chris Colfer).
4. Yes, we will see the mysterious "Eli" aka "he who Blaine cheated on Kurt with." Well, kind of…his face is all blurry, so no, there doesn't seem to be a twist coming in that department.
5. Welcome back, Sebastian (Grant Gustin)! And yes, we mean that. The reformed Warbler is no longer a threat to Klaine fans, thanks to his new nice streak, though he admits, "Being nice sucks." Also, he's no longer captain of the Warblers; that would now be Hunter (along with his creepy cat), who tries to lure Blaine back to Dalton and isn't above using the power of the blazer. The Dalton scenes are pretty hilarious.
6. Fans can also expect to see the return of Kiki, Brittany's (Heather Morris) hilarious Siri-like mobile friend.
7. Marley and Kitty's (Becca Tobin) duet of "Holding Out for a Hero" is one of our favorite performances of season four and features some awesome choreography. We smell a friendship similar to Rachel (Lea Michele) and Quinn's (Dianna Agron) brewing…that is, if Kitty gets a much-needed personality transplant soon, though this episode seems to (subtly) hint that Kitty is pretty lonely.
8. Blake Jenner is kind of the bee's knees. His performance in this episode, which reveals Ryder's learning disability (and Jenner's ability to pretty-cry!), is great, and it's nice to see that New Directions has four very capable and strong five male leads this season that can all handle taking on the lead vocals at Sectionals: Ryder, Jake, Sam, Blaine and Artie.
9. This episode easily could have been called "Bromance Overload" as Ryder and Jake (Jacob Artist) develop a sincere bond after revealing their insecurities to each other, and Jenner and Artist have great chemistry together. Still, one of Marley's guys definitely has an edge over the other by episode's end when it comes to winning her over.
10. This is the first episode that convinced us that Glee could continue on with just the McKinley storyline should they ever choose to give Rachel and Kurt their own show in New York. In fact, we didn't even notice their absence. New New Directions is winning us over!
All in all, this is our favorite episode of season four, apart from the stellar "Breakup" outing, and is the perfect escape from your visiting family this Thanksgiving!
Glee airs Thursday at 9 p.m. on Fox.